Saturday, July 10, 2010


Phalaenopsis Orchid

Thou art thy mother's glass, and she in thee
Calls back the lovely April of her prime. ~ William Shakespeare

Today's Joy: Discovering Your Mother.
Had an epiphany today, Reader. After spending a lovely afternoon at the Farmer's Market and then picking up two new garden planters for Mom's front porch, we had lunch and got to talking about the past. She related to me a story of her younger married life and the struggles she went through that I'd never heard before, and suddenly I saw my mother from an entirely new perspective. The young woman she had been became clear to me in a way I'd never considered before and tears welled up in my eyes when I thought about all that she overcame in those years. I suddenly felt ashamed for the times I didn't make things easier on her. It was a big moment for both of us.

I look forward now to getting to know even more of this elusive woman and to a closer relationship than we've ever had. Thank you, God, for this opportunity to better understand my mother and to show her how much I appreciate all she's sacrificed for us. I pray that you will bring continued peace and joy into her life and bless us with her warm presence for many, many years to come.
Quote courtesy of The Quote Garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment