Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Blue Cheese Topping



Have you noticed, Reader, the explosion of nutritionists on television of late--all warning us that we shouldn't be eating any processed foods? Whether it's the hidden sugar content, the artificial fillers in practically everything or that most dreaded of processed food offenders--partially hydrogenated oils--we're being warned to stay away from it all.

Of course, the nutritionists are right. All that crud is terrible for us. It's also scary. I, for one, am developing food anxiety. When I see that my favorite dish at Restaurant A packs 1,800 calories or Restaurant B's super-indulgence tops out at a whopping 2,500 calories, it makes me (literally) ill and cranky. It seems there are so many things in the world we have to be vigilant against. Adding every single meal we consume to the list is overwhelming! It's getting to the point where I have to see my food prepared or prepare it myself or I don't feel good about eating it.

Fortunately, I LOVE to cook and getting in the kitchen is a creative outlet for me. But for folks who are culinarily-challenged or don't enjoy cooking, all this food-phobia must be even more overwhelming. To that end, I'm going to do my part to post some easy, cheap & de-lish homemade alternatives to the processed junk we don't even realize we use every day. Jamie Oliver, rejoice! The Food Revolution does start with us!

Okay, last night I made blue cheese & mushroom burgers. While I love blue cheese, I can't stand processed blue cheese dressing. I want blue cheese that is creamy, fresh and not overpowering. So, here is my very simple blue cheese topping for burgers & salad. It also makes a yummy dip for veggies & crackers. The best part: you can whip up small, fresh batches lickety-split so you don't have a bottle of artery-clogging gunk hanging out in the fridge for months.

Simple Blue Cheese Topping
1 5 oz. container crumbled blue cheese
3/4 cup real mayonnaise
2 tbl. sour cream
1 tbl. fresh chives, chopped
salt & pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients and serve immediately.
Makes 6-8 tablespoon-size servings.
Refrigerate up to one week.


1 comment: