Saturday, March 27, 2010

Irish Soda Bread



Today's Joy: Family Traditions.
I missed posting this on March 17th but it's too good to forego altogether so today, Reader, I'm gonna share with you why my family loves St. Patrick's Day.

Most of my family is Irish and we look forward to St. Patrick's Day all year long. My mother spends the whole day cooking an Irish repast of corned beef, cabbage & potatoes, while the family gathers (with much anticipation) to eat it. Now, I LOVE corned beef & cabbage. I've tried it at numerous restaurants & friends' homes. But the old adage rings true--nobody makes it like Mom. This year she made 5 corned beef briskets, 10 lbs. of potatoes and 3 heads of cabbage. A respectable feast, but by no means the largest she's ever made.



Usually, Mom also makes 2 loaves of her famed Irish Soda Bread. We wait all year to bite into a sugar-glazed slice of that warm, currant-filled goodness. But due to a scheduling snafu, this year, for the first time, I was entrusted to bake the pair of golden loaves.
I took this responsibility very seriously. I measured the ingredients, mixed the dough and handled it exactly as Mom had directed. (Except I did add a tad more buttermilk because my dough was a skosh dry.) Long story short--my loaves passed inspection (see photo above) and were devoured with great enthusiasm. They were so good, in fact, that Mom decreed the task of making soda bread each year would now pass to me!



So, here for your enjoyment, Reader, is that treasured Irish Soda Bread recipe. If you'd also like to know the secret to Mom's outstanding corned beef & cabbage, drop me a line.

Irish Soda Bread
3 cups sifted all-purpose flour
3 tbl. sugar (for dough)
3 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup currants (or raisins)
1 1/3 cups buttermilk

For Glaze:
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup hot water

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Combine all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
Stir in raisins.
Add buttermilk until blended. Dough will be very sticky.
Turn onto lightly-floured board and knead 10 times.
Shape into 8 inch round loaf and place on ungreased cookie sheet.
Make an "X" in the top of the loaf.
Bake for 45 minutes.
Glaze with sugar & water solution and bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown.
Serve warm with sweet cream butter.

No comments:

Post a Comment