Sunday, August 29, 2010

Today's Joy: Honoring God...with Lasagna.
For four weeks now, Reader, we have been blessed at church with a series of video sermons by Andy Stanley, of North Point Community Church. I find Andy's messages to be very illuminating. This morning at church, I was sitting next to SH when Andy, preaching from the big screen on stage, asked us to consider our options when we make tough decisions (or even everyday ones) and ask ourselves which choice would be most honoring to God?

I love that. It's simple, eloquent and gets right to the heart of what makes a decision meaningful. It's something I try to keep in mind while making decisions that could potentially be important--except, when I'm thinking about it in my head, I call it doing the right thing. What is the right thing here? In pursuing this, am I doing the right thing? Is that the right thing for what I'm trying to accomplish or project? But at the heart of it, I am thinking about what would be most honoring to God. Andy just said it a lot better. I like Andy.

Now, you're probably wondering what all this has to do with lasagna. Well, it's mostly circumstantial. After that illuminating service, I visited Mom for a bit and then came home to turn beef and sausage and ricotta and fresh basil and noodles and fresh oregano and garlic and mozzarella and gobs of tomato sauce into that Italian food lover's dream: lasagna! Making dinner for my family, all of whom came over after working in the garden or being at the dressage show all afternoon, is something I really enjoy. To my way of thinking, making good food to nourish people I love absolutely honors God. And if you can do that while still enjoying all kinds of tomatoey, cheesy goodness, so much the better. God Bless Andy Stanley and lasagna!

2 comments:

  1. Andy Stanley is such a wonderful man! I know you've mentioned going to Willow Creek CC before. He speaks there often. Michael W. Smith will be there this weekend during regular services (Saturday - 5:30; Sunday - 9:00 & 11:15). He is such an inspiration. I recommend checking it out if you are able.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Am sorry I missed it! We had the privilege of attending a musical service by Newsong at CCC this weekend. Wish time would have allowed to do both! Thank you, Anonymous, for your thoughtful commentary. I enjoy it very much.

    ReplyDelete