Tuesday, July 13, 2010



Today's Joy: Lines Worthy of A Movie.
Worked the early shift, Reader. Now I'm home and watching the sun go down over golden Illinois cornfields. Feels a bit like a scene from a movie, actually. Puts me in a thoughtful mood--wondering what it must have been like to star in an old Hollywood film, with some profound thought on life antzing around the tip of your tongue. Just waiting for the timing to be right so it could leap off and dazzle the audience sitting just out of frame. Drama, eyes welling with emotion, golden age wardrobe and campy romance scene kiss all included.

Alas, I can't think of any silver screen gems to amuse you. And my attempt to strike a Marlene Dietrich pose is failing miserably. So instead, here are some great lines about life that I found at The Quote Garden. Wonder how Humphrey Bogart, Cary Grant or Katharine Hepburn would have delivered these...

Life is a great big canvas, and you should throw all the paint on it you can. ~Danny Kaye

Life loves to be taken by the lapel and told: "I am with you kid. Let's go." ~Maya Angelou

There is a lesson we learn early and harmlessly, or late and traumatically - that there are things we can break that our parents can't fix. ~Robert Brault

Give us Lord, a bit o' sun,
A bit o' work and a bit o' fun;
Give us all in the struggle and sputter
Our daily bread and a bit o' butter. ~ From an inn in Lancaster, England

I have measured out my life with coffee spoons. ~T.S. Eliot, The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock

God asks no man whether he will accept life. That is not the choice. You must take it. The only question is how. ~Henry Ward Beecher

The true harvest of my daily life is somewhat as intangible and indescribable as the tints of morning or evening. It is a little star dust caught, a segment of the rainbow which I have clutched. ~Henry David Thoreau, Walden

The aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, drunkenly, serenely, divinely aware. ~Henry Miller

Living involves tearing up one rough draft after another. ~Author Unknown

Few of us write great novels; all of us live them. ~Mignon McLaughlin, The Neurotic's Notebook, 1960

My life has a superb cast but I can't figure out the plot. ~Ashleigh Brilliant

Life is a long lesson in humility. ~James M. Barrie

When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me." ~Erma Bombeck

No comments:

Post a Comment