Thursday, August 12, 2010


Penny in my Palm.

Today's Joy: Benefitting from Benefits.
Well, Reader, tonight I write to you from a comfy armchair where I'm surrounded by myriad insurance brochures scattered about. As I'm now a full-time employee, my employer has graciously extended a variety of affordable healthcare options. Vision and Dental and PPO's, Oh My! The best part? Even the "pricier" plan with all the trimmings can be had for less than $100 a month. What a blessing!

Tomorrow I will fax in my enrollment paperwork and come Sept. 1st, I will have health insurance for the first time in....well, quite a while. Today, my two favorite phrases in the English language are: $0 co-pay and would you like to see my insurance card? I'll probably flash mine just for fun. That's right, who's got insurance now??

Can't wait to see the eye doctor and the dentist and my general practitioner. Oooo, my new insurance will cover a chiropractor too. Up to 20 visits per year! That'll work wonders for my alignment.

God Bless benefits! When you don't have them, they can seem like Willie Wonka's golden ticket. Makes me mindful of all the folks out there who will likely never be able to afford them.

Dear Lord, please work on the hearts of the lawmakers and those who run the insurance companies. Help them find a solution for our nation's healthcare crisis--one that will allow people access to this much-needed care without bankrupting families or the system. Please Lord, work in the hearts and minds of those who have the power to make a difference. Help them to lead with compassion and intelligent planning. And help us, the masses of everyday folk in this country, to recognize good ideas and strong policies and throw our support behind them. We know, Lord, that all things are possible through you, and that you have blessed us with more resources than we will ever need. Help us to utilize those resources wisely in caring for each other. Remind us that the quality of life experienced by the least of us is as revealing about our society as a list of its achievements. We seek your guidance and council. In Jesus' name, Amen.

2 comments:

  1. This company is out of business...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmm. 42 years in the health food industry. Twice the recipients of the Presidential Export Award for significant contributions to American exporting. And named one of Chicago's 101 Best and Brightest Companies to Work For for a third consecutive year.

    Out of business? I think not.

    ReplyDelete