Wednesday, May 19, 2010

I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much. ~Mother Teresa

Today's Joy: Taking It Back to Prayer.
It was not a good day, Reader. It started out stinky and got progressively worse. Due to a miscommunication, I found myself sitting alone outside work at 6 am when I didn't need to be there until 7. Certainly inconvenient, but, as my visiting friend was flying out this morning, it seemed doubly so. We could have spent that precious hour having breakfast together. As it was, I left before she woke up and didn't get to say goodbye.

Then, in the afternoon, I went for a follow-up to one of last week's job interviews, got completely lost, drove around for over an hour looking for the new interview location and almost ran out of gas. I finally had to call my perspective contact and, over garbled cell phone reception, ask to reschedule. I felt utterly defeated. Sometime overnight, it seems, I had lost all of my time management and directional skills. Add to that an abnormally intense & painful rush of monthly hormones, which caused me to entertain very un-Christianlike thoughts about the drivers in front of me, and all I wanted to do was come home, eat chocolate and put on my jammies.

The only thing that kept me from being in tears was returning to prayer and handing it all over to God. Don't get me wrong, every moment felt like a struggle today. But without that simple, basic act of asking for help, asking for solace, praying for patience and the self-control not to honk my horn at pretty much everyone on Route 176, I would have felt even worse!

“Things don't go wrong and break your heart so you can become bitter and give up. They happen to break you down and build you up so you can be all that you were intended to be.”
-- Samuel Johnson, English Author

Life is a shipwreck but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats. ~Voltaire


Quotes courtesy of The Quote Garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment