Sunday, December 12, 2010


Little Elf

Today's Joy: Giving Of One's Self.
Brrrr!!! It feels more like January than December here in Chicago, Reader. But I was on a mission this morning, so I braved the frigid wind gusts and blowing snow to drive cross-town with my camera.

I have a coworker who's had a big year. Her 2nd child, a beautiful daughter, was born much earlier than expected this summer and required an extended (and expensive) hospital stay before she could come home. Add to that the family's recent move to a lovely new home--plus all the usual holiday hooplah--and my poor coworker is exhausted. She's been feeling guilty about not having enough energy to pack up her significant other, 2 year-old & new baby and stand in line at the mall for Christmas pictures. Well, that is something I can help with.


With Big Brother

So, I volunteered to go to their house and shoot the family portrait right there in front of the Christmas tree. Dog and all! Fast forward to this morning and no amount of cold, freezing rain or sleet was going to keep me from using the gift God has given me to bring joy to a friend. After all, it's her daughter's first Christmas. And long after she forgets how tired she feels right now, she will remember how adorable & precious her children are. This gift I'm able to give will bring joy for many years. It doesn't get much better than that.


The Best Gift This Year

You don't have to spend a lot to give a meaningful gift this year, Reader. Just give of what you have in abundance: your strengths. The effort may well prove to be the best gift you receive this Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment