Wednesday, July 21, 2010


The greenhouse at a Nursery on Rte. 176, Crystal Lake, IL

Summer, as my friend Coleridge waggishly writes, has set in with its usual severity. ~ Charles Lamb

Today's Joy: Air-conditioning.
Whew! Reader, northern Illinois has turned into a greenhouse this week. The air is so thick with water that a mist has been hanging low over the cornfields well into late afternoon. Add to that the sweltering 90+ degree temperatures and all I can stand to do is come home from work and sit in the AC. Forlornly, I peer out the windows at my plants, who are in ecstasy and growing with great enthusiasm. Even the cat has been turning up his nose at going outside.

Alas, such is the price we must pay for experiencing such a glorious summer. Hope you're enjoying it, Reader. Seems to be especially delightful this year. And I've relished every moment--even the sticky ones.
Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~ Russel Baker

No comments:

Post a Comment