Thursday, July 22, 2010


Booth at Marklund, May 2010.

Today's Joy: Scheming.
As my show gets closer, Reader, I find that whatever else I might be doing at any given time, I'm also planning and scheming about a hundred little show details in the back of my mind. In fact, I'm obsessed about everything.

Do I need color-coordinated shopping bags? How do I display all the bookmarks in an attractive way that will still keep them neat? What if it's windy? Do I need tablecloth weights? What if it rains? Do I need sideflaps for the tent? Do I need custom order forms? Do I have enough business cards? What about signage? Same table set-up as usual or should I mock-up a whole new display?

My head is full of this kind of fussing. Of course, it's all good stuff. When I get to the show and every detail has been thought through and planned out, I will feel very satisfied. In the meantime, I'm scatter-brained and a tad distracted (apologies to anyone around me this week, for any boneheadedness I may commit).

Still, it's all worth it. I enjoy going to the shows and sharing my work with people. What a wonderful, creative environment. Can't wait to meet new fellow artists and see what kinds of work are being done in the area. There's something powerful and inspiring about a lot of creativity being in one place. You never know what will happen when all that energy meets. I suspect it will yield good things, though. Seems like an irresistible opportunity for God to work some of his magic.

So, here's to scheming, having too many irons in the fire and meticulous attention to detail. May they all come together in a trifecta of preparedness and yield results beyond our wildest hopes. At the very least, may they keep us out of trouble for a little while. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment