Monday, June 7, 2010

Today's Joy: Setting Myself A Challenge.
Reader, if you listen to K-Love, you know today is Make A Difference Monday. You also know it is Day 15 of Sterling's month-long challenge to America. Simply put, she's challenging us not to grumble or complain for 30 days. Yup, no mumbling under your breath. No crabbing. And no spewing negativity. No complaining of any kind for 30 whole days. Could you do it?

What would the month be like if we weren't wasting time and energy putting negativity out there? How would your life be transformed if, instead, you were directing that intent into positive things? Imagine the difference you could make if instead of detrimental statements, each thing you said throughout the day lifted someone up.....powerful stuff.

I've noticed over the last few weeks how much time I spend complaining. Have caught myself dozens of times each day throwing out a comment or observation that doesn't enhance the conversation or make anyone feel good. In commiserating with friends, family or co-workers, I'm actually just spreading moments of mini-misery. A rude awakening for someone who prides herself on being positive.

So, I've decided to accept Sterling's challenge. But I'm such a complaint-offender, I better start with smaller chunks. As of 10:46 am today, I will not complain, grumble or say anything disparaging, sarcastic or derogatory for 1 week. The challenge became apparent almost immediately, but I'm proud to say, I am making huge strides! Made one slip this afternoon--I complained about building a hard-to-assemble shelving unit when, for the 3rd time this month, a floor model was sold even though we had several unassembled units in stock. As soon as the comment left my lips, I winced. I immediately apologized to the recipient of my complaint and then cheerfully built that shelf! Hurray, progress!

I can't wait to see how this challenge will change the way I live. What about you, Reader? Are you ready to make a change?

No comments:

Post a Comment