Sunday, February 28, 2010

Today's Joy: Divine Creative Inspiration.
Creativity reigns supreme this weekend, Reader. But before we get to that, I have a confession to make. I have this bad habit of down-playing the large roll my creative skills play in my life. I use them every day. But to be honest, they sometimes seem more like a hindrance than an asset--especially when job-hunting.

While creative resourcefulness is always useful, it's darn near impossible to find a job posting for it. And once I get an interview, it's even harder to show an employer how it's an asset to them (which it will be, the first time I solve a thorny problem). So, I tend to stuff my creativity back inside and only let it come out at home or when my quantifiable, real-world skills have gotten me in the door.

Here's the rub: I may be barking up the wrong tree. I think God is getting a little impatient with me for not using the wonderful skills he's provided. I think he realizes I need a good kick in the butt to get started. Enter: my loving family. For years, my mother said I should be making greeting cards. For years, I politely ignored her. Then came today. My two aunts brought me a keepsake photo card (the kind suitable for framing) and pointedly nudged me to consider making something similar--only better. After much cajoling, I got online and looked into products, cost and how to sell them.

What do you know! There was God, working through my Aunts & Google, to get me to the right resources. I found a great, affordable stationery company that uses recycled cardstock and soybean-based inks. They even offer free business advice. Suddenly, this little notion is solidifying into something doable. Now, I'm busy brain-storming which photos to use and what venues might be profitable. What a jump from where I was yesterday. And yes, Mom, I should have listened to you years ago.

Photo: One of my favorite insect shots, taken in Mom's Purple Sage patch, 2008.

No comments:

Post a Comment