Wednesday, November 17, 2010


New York Strip w/Baby Portabellas in Russian Marinade

Today's Joy: Culinary Therapy
Do you find as I do, Reader, that getting in the kitchen, rolling up your sleeves and whipping up something delicious is probably the best thing you can do with stress or negative energy? I love the idea of making something tender & mouth-watering out of my own frustration.

Tonight, Aunt came home in need of a little venting. As she told me about her day, I defrosted two of our own delectable, farm-raised steaks (each about 2 1/2 inches thick), sliced & sauteed fresh baby portabella mushrooms & garlic in rich butter, then marinated both in Russian dressing (couldn't find any red wine). Then I sliced up leftover potatoes and threw them on the griddle to soak up some of the marinade and steamed a package of chopped spinach (we must have something healthy, after all). In about 20 minutes, we were in steak lover's heaven. All the cares of the day seemed to vanish in a wave of flavor.

Why is it, Reader, that cooking with butter, bacon or chocolate always makes us feel better? It's one of the great mysteries of the universe. Right up there with black holes and the search for extraterrestrial life. Yup, aliens and bacon. Butter and pulsars. Chocolate and the space/time continuum. But, I digress...

No comments:

Post a Comment