Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Today's Joy: Catching Up on Guilty Pleasures.
I have a confession to make, Reader. I am a Grey's Anatomy junkie. A bonafide, can't-tear-my-eyes-away fanatic. From the first 2nd season episode I happened across one Sunday night--I was hooked! The snappy dialogue! The juicy plot twists! The shocking, illicit love affairs playing out in on-call rooms and O.R.'s across Seattle Grace Hospital! It was all so good you never knew what was going to happen next. I had to go back and watch the 1st season just to get caught up!

After that, I never missed an episode. It was only a week or two before I had most of my family roped in as well. It became our weekly ritual to gather and have dinner, chatting amiably through Ugly Betty. But all conversation stopped mid-sentence as soon as Grey's came on. It was an unspoken rule: you could talk through the commercials but not a word would be spoken (or acknowledged) once the show was back on. Thus we watched the next 2 seasons.

In all that time, I only missed one episode. Unfortunately, it was the episode after Cardiac Surgeon Erica Hahn found out Izzie was the intern responsible for hijacking the transplant heart earmarked for Erica's patient during season 2. It was the crucial season 3 episode where Erica left the show, Izzie acknowledged she was seeing her dead fiance and Meredith's reckless former med school friend showed up. And yes, I know how this sounds. But if you've ever watched the show, you will understand. That one episode changed the whole season and without it, I didn't have a clue what was going on. Ever since, I've been trying to catch the re-run of that single, missing episode. To no avail. I always seemed to just miss it.

Then fast forward to tonight. I was perusing the usual Lifetime line-up of Grey's re-runs and there it was! Finally!! So I watched it. And you know what? It was just as juicy and scandalous as I imagined. Totally worth it!



No comments:

Post a Comment