Thursday, January 21, 2010


Cups & Saucers
Originally uploaded by talekinker
Today's Joy: Packing up my little darlings.
Dear Reader, are you a collector? Do you have a hobby or obsession that you could gush on and on about until other people become nauseated? For me, that'd be teacups.

It started a few years ago, when I began going to estate sales and auctions with my family. We found the most wonderful array of antiques and--my personal cryptonite--vintage china. It was all over for me, Reader. I fell head-over-heels for serveware, dinner services and the most beguiling teacups. English Bone China, Limoges, wonderfully thin Japanese Nippon--I learned to love them all. Suffice it to say, that first auction saw me carting away teacups in 12 different patterns, as well as enough green majolica dishes to feed 20 people. It was pretty much down hill from there.

Anyway, today I am packing up all my lovelies for their half mile journey to our new apartment. If you could see the professional-grade packing material I'm using, you'd probably think these were museum-worthy pieces on their way to a stuffy exhibit somewhere. Many of them are rare and a few are in pristine condition. But the only audience they will likely have is little old me (they will be on display in my vintage-inspired office).

That is, unless someone requests a tea-themed lunch or garden party. Then I will bring them all out in a gala debut and set a gorgeous table. Hmmm...that actually sounds like a terrific idea. After all, why have something so pretty if you don't use it? Stay tuned, dear Reader. I think this will lead to other teacup-related joy in the future...

Photo: The heavy hitters in my collection on display at the 2008 Kane County Fair. Took 1st Place in the China Class.

No comments:

Post a Comment