Thursday, January 14, 2010

Conquering Craig's List


Today's Joy: Success on Craig's List!

Happy Thursday, Reader. I feel great! Like a conquering hero! Have just completed my first successful sale via the North DFW Craig's List--a pine armoire for $20. True, it's not much. In fact, the buyer came to look at this instead, but decided it wasn't right for them. Regardless, this means one less thing Himself has to haul down 3 flights of stairs when we move in the next few weeks. Hurray! That will put a smile on his face.

Not sure how you feel about Craig's List, Reader. Prior to this, my feelings were ambivalent. Last fall, I attempted to give away a roll-top desk in hopes it would get a good home. Silly girl. My ad received dozens of responses. Over the next month, I emailed and even spoke with several responders on the phone. Set numerous appointments. But--mystery of mysteries--no one ever showed up to get the free desk. I'm now told this happens a lot.

Of course, that's hardly the fault of Craig or his list, but rather, a telling bit of info about the people who use it. I'm finding they are often (obscenely) oblivious. For example: even if your ad clearly states the buyer is responsible for moving the heavy-whatever-you're-selling from your 3rd floor apt., they will likely to show up alone, with a bad back, or with a very tiny 50-something woman who can't lift anything. They will then stare at you dumbly, clearly waiting for you to haul the thing down the stairs. They will not be impressed when you cheerfully walk past and say, "I'll get the door for ya!"

Also, don't expect people to read or use the item measurements you included in your ad. Instead, they will show up with no idea how tall 29 inches is. They also won't know what size they actually need and will stand there, looking disappointed and suspecting you're trying to trick them. This boggles the mind.

But, I believe in finding the positive. This is my daily joy, after all. So, here for your enjoyment, are some of the things I've learned from my Craig's List experiences:
If you're going to post an ad....

#1 Repeat yourself. A lot.
So you'll be here at 10 to carry that down the stairs? Isn't it a lovely piece you're going to carry down the stairs? Thanks so much for coming to carry that down the stairs!

#2 Be specific. Never assume anything is self-explanatory.
It is a table. You can use it for A, B & C. It is this big (hold out your arms). Is that what you need? Do you know how to use a measuring tape? Before you come out, please find out if this will work for you. I don't deliver. Please bring a vehicle big enough to carry it. And people to help. Please bring cash. Bring something besides hundred dollar bills. You must pick it up today. No, I won't 'hold' it for a week. No, it is not returnable.

#3 Always plan for the worst-case scenario.
What time will you be here? Ok, but if you don't show up, I have someone else coming at 11:30 and 12:15 and 12:45.... I'm sure you're a very nice scary-looking person. Yes, several people know you are coming by today and they all have your information. Yes, that's my cell phone in my hand. I have 911 on speed dial....

Have a wonderful day, Reader!
P.S. That table is still available if you want it!




No comments:

Post a Comment