Tuesday, February 1, 2011


Snowpacalypse Feb. 1st, 2011

What I learned today: Ask God for opportunities to improve yourself and He provides.
Here I sit, Reader, tucked into a warm bed and typing away on my new laptop (an incredible Christmas gift from my family). Meanwhile, the worst winter storm in over 40 years is raging outside with 60 mph wind gusts and blowing snow coming down at the rate of about 2-4 inches per hour. Though I was able to leave work early today due to the impending weather, it still took me almost 3 hours to get home. Isn't it funny how all our technological whiz-stuff makes us feel all smart and superior? At least until uncontrollable natural events disrupt everything and rake havoc with our tidy, time-tabled lives.

Ah-ha! But, you see, now is not the time for petty frustration and the grumpy rolling of eyes. For here, God has provided me with an opportunity to practice my word: relinquish. I had the chance to relinquish all control of the situation, my timetable and even my apprehension about driving in bad weather (stemming from my recent auto misfortunes). I took a few deep breaths, stilled my panicky thoughts (what if I get stuck somewhere?) and prayed about it. I prayed for a calm heart and to accept that I am not really in control of what happens next. I gave it over to God, knowing that whatever happened on my drive home, it is part of God's plan and He would be there with me.

Several times I had to mentally stomp on the fear that threatened to spill over at every weather report and dire storm warning, but once I got behind the wheel, I felt a strange sort of working-peace descend over me--my head was clear, my reflexes ready (if need be), but I wasn't panicked or dreading the extended drive. Well, I made it home safe and unruffled. Check off one well-used opportunity to practice my word. I can't wait to see how focusing on these little challenges will shape my character. Can already feel myself stretching in positive ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment