Thursday, August 5, 2010

Today's Joy: Shark Week.
If you're like me, Reader, you wait all year for the Discovery Channel's annual fear vs. fish spectacle: Shark Week! For that 7-day stretch, I try to get home in time to catch each night's new shark-themed special as well as re-runs from previous years. It's amazing what you learn from watching people-with-a-death-wish climb into the water and into crazy aluminum cages to dangle themselves in front of these fascinating and enormous predators.

I'm definitely an armchair shark enthusiast. Love learning all about these creatures and how they live. However, I have zero interest in getting in the water with them. Much prefer the safety of a swimming pool or land-locked lake. Yep, call me a wuss, but it's true. Thank goodness, then, for the wacky risk-takers who don't mind getting up close and personal with every kind of shark. Without them, there would be no fabulous underwater footage of these magnificent animals for me to enjoy from the safety of my own home. God bless the people who are called to work with the more dangerous elements of God's creation.

No comments:

Post a Comment